Saturday, 11 July 2009
In which I consider all things baking
I really have an urge to get back into baking lately. I've mastered cooking (when I say mastered I mean I can follow a recipe, which although may not be an achievment for you it's a huge one for me considering how un-domestic I was this time last year) and now I want to be able to bake. Bread, cakes, deserts... Everything.
I made Heavenly Housewife's English Muffin Bread (As seen above) this morning, which wasn't a total disaster although it didn't rise hardly any (yeast problems?) and I then forgot it was in the oven so it got a bit crisp (and brown as you can see), Husband devoured it none the less, so I suppose in a way it was a success, though I feel I could have done better. I now have a huge bag of cornmeal left over from that recipe, so I'm thinking...American Cornbread? They don't sell powdered buttermilk in this country and the only recipe I have calls for that. I will do some searching later today. Was thinking of putting jalapenos in it. mmmm.
I have a vague memory though that cornbread is...sweetish. No? I haven't had cornbread since I last had Thanksgiving in America, which was 6 years ago, so my memory is fuzzy. Is it cornbread I am thinking of or a different bread? muffins? ... like those muffins they sell at KFC in America? what are those?
time for some domestic research it seems. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and yes, might attempt the cupcakes tomorrow.
- someone needs to stop me
- screw the "In which..." from now on!
- In which I fancy a drink
- In which I give you a quickie
- Joy of reading award
- In which pills are the only way
- In which it's a monday
- In which there is more shopping to be had
- In which I do the movie and a take-away thing
- In which I discuss two of my favourite things
- In which dinner is served!
- In which we should consider
- In which I am taken down
- Nigela Lawson is a bit of a hero for me. It starte...
- In which I bite my tongue
- In which yes I am aware I am going to be posting a...
- In which I am thoughtful
- In which I want to be popular
- In which I love thy neighbor
- In which I again ask
- In which everything is wonderful
- In which I fail
- In which I go to war
- In which it's a race for life
- In which thunder all through the night
- In which I am pleasently surprised.
- In which I make a note
- In which I think dried cranberries are yummy
- In which I get hothothot
- In which I use my prerogative as a woman
- In which I ask a question...or two.
- in which something is afoot
- In which I moan about my boobs
- In which I consider all things baking
- In which I am hopeless
- In which I try to be a good person
- In which Tex-Mex fish fillets are made
- In which I make small talk and say whats on my min...
- In which there are friends for dinner
- ▼ July (39)