Monday 31 August 2009

Cakes and Cars.

What a very busy weekend! But I'm hear now to talk about Sunday. Ah, Sunday. Husband's Aunt was throwing a "Summers Ending BBQ" and I'd been looking forward to this for a while. Firstly because, Hurrah for BBQ's! and secondly because there is not a more entertaining place to be than at one of my Husband's family gatherings. Parents, Siblings, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins all come flocking and it is always a blast.

It's the kind of get-together when you can talk to anyone, butt in on any conversation, throw playful insults, make cheeky remarks and walk around with bare feet. I suppose, just generally it's like being with family. Everyone loves each other and everyone wants to get the last word in. It's a blast.

And of course, with the proverbial invite to a BBQ you have to bring the proverbial desserts. I decided to try and Americanize my English in-laws a bit with a Oreo pound cake and Heavenly Housewife's Honey Sweetened Cornbread. Both went down a huge hit, although everyone kept calling the cornbread, Coconut cakes... Apparently they looked and tasted like coconut. Which, I can tell you, they did not in the least. I think the texture of the cornmeal confused the un-cultured Brits. Who would have thought someone would ever refer to Cornbread as cultured...


On our way home from the BBQ (Which was down in Kent, an hour and 45 minute drive) our car died...15 minutes into the drive. This was at about 8pm, Son was sleeping and the car made a whine like a cat dying and then...well, died. Lucky for us the parents and sister-in-law were not far behind us in their automobiles so we had company...While we waited for a tow... for over 4 hours! Lucky for us we were in a service station, so coffee was of abundance, but still. Shit... God sent us a saving grace in the form of our sleeping son, who did not stir once even when we transferred him and the car seat into sister-in-laws car for the drive home. So, no car. For now at least. The head gasket has gone... like I know what that means. I do know it means $800+. Yippie, goodbye holiday. Big bummer, but despite all that I still have thoroughly enjoyed my bank holiday weekend. Today other than recovering from lack of sleep last night was spent doing the most deepest clean of my house ever. I'm feeling very accomplished.

Nice Lil picture of Son scoffing a honey sweetened cornbread. And now, on to the important stuff!

Oreo Pound Cake

recipe from Jesse Wilson @ Recipezar

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup/8oz butter (softened)
2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crushed Oreo cookies
1 cup vanilla frosting (I used betty crocker)


In a large bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric whisk. Gradually add the flour and salt then add one egg at a time. Mix until well blended. Fold the crushed Oreo's in until well blended.

Pour mixture into a well greased and floured 10x6 inch loaf pan.

Bake at 325f for 1 hour or until knife coes out clean.

Let cake cool completely. Place cake on wax paper. Heat frosting in the microwave for 20 seconds or until it can be poured.

Pour frosting over caking and sprinkle with additional crushed Oreo's.

7 comments:

confused homemaker said...

Oh My! I don't know whether to tell you that you are torturing me with that recipe or go make it & just eat the whole thing. It looks. so. good.

Stephanie said...

Your cake looks amazing. Sending that recipe to the printer now.

So sorry about your car. No Fun:(

Unknown said...

Oh thats so cool :D I'm so glad you tried the cornbread. Yours look really cute as muffins. Especially love the picture at the end with your little dolly eating them :D

Theta Mom said...

That oreo pound cake looks AWESOME! And I know what you mean about getting together with family...and trying to get in the last word. Amen sister.

Eve said...

Confused - If you are like me and consider the best bit of baking licking the spoon then this recipe is a REAL treat! :)

MM - Let me know how it goes!

HH - Son loved those cornbreads! I've never seen him so fond of cake (he's not got much of a sweet tooth). So thank you!

Theta - Do you always win too ;)

Miranda said...

Great cake! It looks amazing. I love oreos.
Your son is so adorable!!!!

Gooluck with your car!!

Eve said...

Miranda - Thank you! I think he's pretty cute too ;)

Powered By Blogger