Tuesday 4 August 2009

Curry with Flowers... but not like together.

Does anyone have any clue what kind of plant/tree that is? I'm told by my step-mother-of-sorts that it might be a hibiscus, but she is unsure. Step-mother-of-sorts is my dad's on again off again girlfriend/fiance depending on his/her mood. Extremely dysfunctional and as you know I do not have a relationship with my father, but step-mother-of-sorts is pretty cool, a bit crazy for sure, but i like her, have known her 10+ years and she's kind of like family. She one of those people that is very...airy fairy. hippyish. she talks to everything as if it has a soul... Including the toaster. Anyways, back on to my rockin' tree. How pretty is that thing? I've decided I want my whole fence surrounded by whatever that is. It's in constant bloom, even at night. So beautiful and rustic looking. Yeah, so anyone have a clue on a name for it I'd be much appreciative.

My blog roll is over flowing, I need one of my tea and biscuit sessions in front of the computer to catch up me thinks.

Last night I made a Lamb Biryani and then Husband and I curled up on the couch to watch Burn after reading. I've got two things to say about this.

1) Is a Biryani called a Biryani because it has spinach in it? Because although my Biryani was very tasty, It didn't taste like the Biryani I get at our local Indian (which is to die for btw). either way though both Husband and I enjoyed this. Quick, cheap and easy (I like things that remind me of myself. Ha! right) and a good fix if you fancy an easy Indian. It wasn't very spicy so I think next time I'd add another tbsp of curry paste. It's a bog standard recipe but thought I'd share for those of you out there who love a 20 minute recipe just like me.

2) Has anyone seen Burn after reading? Did you feel angry at loosing 2 hours of your time as well once it was over? Because fuck me... What the hell was the point of that movie? I mean, the cast. Brilliant, brilliant. The line up promises good viewing. Husband and I get giving each other looks through out the movie and asking the other if we should just turn it off. But together we ploughed through this shameful attempt of a movie and when the final scene played out and the credits rolled we both paused for at least a minute, hoping, hooooping that this wasn't the end, it wouldn't just leave it like that. I'd just like to say here as well I don't need Love/Action/Bombs/nudity or gimmicks to enjoy a movie. I quite like movies that are just a story, a well told story. But that wasn't even a story!!

If you have seen this movie and you enjoyed it, please explain why too me because then maybe I won't feel so robbed and taken advantage of. Ta.


Quick Lamb Biryani (or so they say...)
Recipe courtesy of EasyCook Magazine
Served 4 - Ready in 25 minutes

1 1/2 tbsp balti curry paste
500g lean lamb leg steak or neck fillet, cubed
200g basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
400ml lamb or chicken stock
200g spinach

Heat a large pan. Fry curry paste until fragrant, then ass the lamb and brown on all sides. Pour in the rice and stock and stir well. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes on a medium heat until rice is tender.

Stir through the spinach, put the lid back on the pan and leave to steam, undisturbed, for 5 minutes before serving.

DONE.

Now, two final pieces.

Don't be brave and try to weed nettles without gloves on -or- don't be too lazy to go and get your gloves (like me) and weed nettles. It hurts for days.

I love it when people put me on hold on the phone and then I can hear them whistling as they go about whatever. It makes me smile so much.

picture from here. Don't have a camera as you know. This is the same picture from the recipe in the magazine though, and yes... turned out looking the same! quite impressive :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually I've never heard of briyani having spinach in it (though that doesn't mean you couldn't add it). traditionally briyani is a dish served for celebrations and its main ingredients are meat and rice. and its very complicated. I have never made it, though hubby would surely like it if i did ;)
Never seen that movie or those pretty flowers. I havent been going out much. Its just too damn rainy up here. I am starting to get really peeved that I am not getting my summer :(

Eve said...

See this is what I thought, Briyani is complicated and lovely and full of all kind of flavors (least the one at my takeaway!) and what I made, although was tasty, was not Briyani.

I haven't been out in ages either except too and from work (other than my weekend money spending trips :P), the weather is so depressing. We should arrange a lunch date in London I think. Wear our best frocks and dine on divine food to lift out spirits!

pam said...

Your flower is a Rose of Sharon. It is just like the one that I posted today, good eye for spotting that!

Eve said...

Thank you Pam! :)

Miranda said...

Eve,
Thank you so much for the nice comments.

What is hard is the preschool thing. My 4 yr. old is signed up here in Lake Mary, FL..But we probably have to transfer after only a few weeks.

I am trying to make it easier on myself and pack as much as I can before the big move.

By the way, I have never made curry...but would love to soon.

Thank you again.
You are awesome!

Unknown said...

Thats sounds awesome :) Will be in London 22 and 23rd. If you are free, maybe we can do something!

Powered By Blogger