Monday 10 August 2009

Stir fry?

How many times do you think I will say "I need a camera" before Husband buys me one? Shall we make bets?

Son is still having explosive poops but he's been a really good happy boy all day and I miraculously managed to do my huge errand list. I'm feeling quite the domestic goddess.

Although I was fancying Mexican for dinner afte
r looking through I decided on attempting to throw together a Chinese style rice chow main stir fry type thing. Not sure what to call it, maybe you can name it for me. It turned out surprisingly well and Husband helped himself to seconds with still enough left over for us both to take some to work for lunch tomorrow.

Oh I also made rice properly for the first time. I always ruin rice because I would just fill (to the brim) a pot of water and throw a cup of rice in and I could n
ever figure out for the life of me why my rice was always soggy and sticky. Did it right today after some advice from work colleague and was quite impressed with my rice. who would have though it would be so easy.

Measurements are rough because mostly I co
oked to taste.


The Chinese Dish without a name
(serves 4)

1 Bag of frozen cooked prawns, defrosted (or of course...you could just not buy frozen. S'all I had!)
2 tbsp Stir Fry oil
8 spring onions, chopped
1/2 tsp Five Spice
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 cups rice
1 1/2 cups mixed veg (I used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peas), par-cooked.

Cook the rice per instructions.

Heat the oil in a wok. Add the spring onions, five spice, tomato & garlic paste, soy sauce and fish sauce. Saute 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the prawns and veg and toss well with the sauce, coating completely. leave to cook for 5 minutes or until the veg is tender. Remove from heat and add the rice, mixing well until everything is coated.

There shouldn't be lots of sauce, just enough to give everything color.

Enjoy!

Does this read ok? I'm never sure how to write out a recipe of my own.




1 comment:

JenJen said...

Well hell. I've tried several times to make "chinese-mexican-something-with-rice dishes all the time and never think to write down what I did.
Nice work!

Powered By Blogger