Thursday 27 August 2009

Things will be hard at time, But I’ve learned to try. Just listening, patiently

Firstly, guys. Fellow bloggers. You've got to stop with the posting of all the cute baby/toddler/kiddy stories. My wee heart can't take it today. I'm feeling a little bit vulnerable and with all these wonderful stories of how kids grow up so fast going around I am feeling all twisted inside.

I am so excited about seeing who my little man becomes, But then also terrified that one day he won't need me... Well I hope he'll always need me in some way but he won't need me to hold his hand, or cuddle him when he's scared or wipe his bum (yes, even that). That's scary. I know it's a ways off still, but already I can see him become a boy, not a baby anymore. He wants to be independent now, he communicates with me, he's got personality and a lot of attitude... I can't handle this today!

It makes me feel old. I know I'm only 24 (so young!) but I feel like 35 is just around the corner...And then 40. And then 60...And then dead. I'm so aware of my own mortality suddenly. I'm also afraid of life going by so fast and not doing all the things I say I want to do. But when I think about all the things I want to do...Really, they are just things and I find comfort that as long as I have my Son, my Husband and my Family, life will be good.

I wish I had my family. God I hate living so far away from them.

Moving on (for my sake more than yours) last night I made a very tasty and super easy (as always) chicken recipe for dinner. Husband adored it and so did I, especially because it was so SO low-cal!

Thought I'd share.

Lemon and Honey Chicken (serves 4)

  • 4 Chicken Breasts
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 4 tbsp clear honey
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves crushed
  • small new potatoes, (as many as you feel you need!)

Clean and pat down the chicken. Make 2-3 slashes on the top of the chicken breast with a sharp knife. In a large bowl combine the lemon, honey, mustard, pepper and garlic to make the marinade. Place the chicken breasts in the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Pre-heat the oven to 200c. Place the chicken breasts and potatoes in a non-stick roasting tin and and pour over any remaining marinade. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.

Serve with steamed broccoli and any left over marinade from the roasting tin drizzled on top!

Enjoy!


8 comments:

Pam said...

What a healthy and tasty dinner - love the honey dijon combonation.

I know what you mean about your little one not needing you later on. My daughter is starting 1st grade and my son is starting pre kindergarten and I already feel them wanting me to "let go" a bit. It's hard!

melissa said...

Oh you make me so hungry! That looks delicious. Hey wanted to let you know you don't have your reply to comments option on for your email. I totaly wrote you this awesomely amazing email (maybe) and then couldn't send it to ya!

Eve said...

Pam - God, 1st grade! It seems so far away yet already too soon... Let me know how you cope!

Melissa - Ah, thanks for pointing this out and also for making me curious! I shall fix it pronto and look forward to your e-mail? :)

Eve said...

Melissa - I totally lie. Have no idea how to fix that or truly...even what it is! Help?

confused homemaker said...

35 to dead, man I'm totally screwed then. 35 is just around the corner. And the benefit of kids getting older is that with all the stuff you can't control, the stuff that scares you about the future, you get to know them more. You get to fall in love with them all over again at different ages (even if you want to banish them to a far off land at times).

Also, that meal looks delicious.

AiringMyLaundry said...

That chicken sounds delicious!

Oh, you had asked how old Natalie was in a comment..she's two :)

Theta Mom said...

OMG! 24, you are SO YOUNG! I am in my early thirties and I sometimes wish I can go back to that time in my life. But, I heard 30 is the new 20 and that 40 is the new 30, so I'm alright, right?! LOL

Eve said...

Confused - when you put it like that... getting to know him better and falling in love all over again, that makes it seem doable. :)

WW - Thank you :)

Theta - according to my Husband 40 is the new 20 (he's 40 :P)! So you're still practically a teen!

Powered By Blogger