Thursday 6 August 2009

Treacle Scones

I swear to god if I am not bought a new camera soon Husband is going to witness the hell that is my wrath... Of refusing to... do... Ah, crap, I've got nothing. I can't not clean/cook/nurture. I'm too house proud to go on strike. I know you're all thinking "Withdraw the bedroom privileges, Eve!" but then I suffer too and I'm too weak to do that. What could I do that would make Husband's life so unbearable that he would have to buy me a new Camera to appease me? ... I suppose I could just ask him, but that takes a lot of fun out of things. I like having something to hold over his head, you know? Gives me something to play with. :)


So anyways, here is a rubbish picture of my most decadent Treacle Scones. These little Gem's were amazing. Soft and not too sweet, with that perfect velvety scone texture.
Two things I'd do differently would be to cut the apple pieces even smaller and also maybe to make bigger scones. Nothing seems to rise in my oven, I haven't a clue what I am doing wrong, maybe too much flour on the work service when I am rolling them out? Everyone loves these though, Son and Husband devoured them and I bought the left overs into work this morning and they were gone in minutes. Might make some more tomorrow actually... Bigger and fatter ones though. Maybe I'll even post a picture of them that looks even SLIGHTLY appetising. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Treacle Scones (makes 8) ..apparently.

6 tbsp butter diced, plus extra for greasing
225g/8oz self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp black treacle
5 tbsp milk

lightly grease a baking tray with a little butter
Sieve the flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl
Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
Stir the apple into the mixture until thoroughly blended
Mix the beaten egg, treacle and milk together in a jug. Add to the dry ingredients and ring together to form a soft dough. Roll out the scone dough on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 2cm/3/4 inch, then stamp out 8 scones with a 5-cm/2-inch cutter

Arrange the scones on the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven, 220c/425f/Gas mark 7, for 8-10 minutes.

Transfer the scones to a wire rack and leave to cool slightly. Serve split in half and spread with butter.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Idea: if you are nearing the end of your phone contract, some phones have some pretty decent cameras (like the sony cybershots), or you can call your mobile phone provider and see if u can get an upgrade.
Nice scones :) Never heard of treacle scones, bet they r totally sweet and delish!

Eve said...

I had an upgrade recently and let my husband take the phone (since the mobile he has through work is dated) so I am left with nothing! I'm going to have to demand I think.

They were looovely! you must try them :)

Pam said...

You will be so happy when you get a new camera. The treacle scones sound amazing.

Powered By Blogger