Monday 3 August 2009

Winter wonders - Sausage & Potato Hotpot

I know I know, It's not winter. But I had some chipolata sausages in my freezer and it was a Sunday. So what it was a Sunday? Well, Sunday I traditionally break out the crock pot because we're usually out all day and it's nice to come home and just have to serve up a meal and not cook. We all really enjoyed it and it was very filling and I made so much I've now got three "heat-em-up" meals in the freezer for those days when I really can't be assed. Again sorry for the useless photo... needcamera.needcamera.

Chipolata Sausage & Potato Hot Pot.

1 Leek
2 tablespoon tomato paste
5 large potatoes
2 cups chicken stock
8 chipolata sausages
2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
1 (400 g) can cannellini beans
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon basil

Slice leek and Peel and chop potatoes coarsely. Heat oil in a frying pan and on low heat, fry leek for about 5 minutes. Add sausages and fry until brown.

Add 1 teaspoon of sage and 1 teaspoon of basil and add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.

Transfer to Crock Pot and add chopped tomatoes. Add stock, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
Add potatoes. leave on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

check potatoes are tender. Remove lid, fold through beans and and leave for a further 10 minutes. Serve with steamed vegetables or a side dish of your choice.

Easily adapted to stove top, just start with a deep saucepan and keep all ingredients in there as you go. Leaving to cook for 30 minutes once adding the potatoes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like u and I are on the same wavelength!

grace said...

no question—this would be welcome in my belly regardless of the temperature outside! oh, for the love of sausage. :)

Powered By Blogger