Monday 2 November 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Husband made the obligatory English Sunday Roast last night. I don't do roasts. Not allowed in this household. Not because I can't do it, but Husband is very good indeed and making a roast, so why challenge him? I purposely bought a large Chicken though with thoughts of wonderful recipes to use up all the extra shredded chicken I'd have. Always good to have plans for left overs when you're on a budget.

It's widely known that generally for me the easier and cheaper the recipe the more likely I am to love it. Of course, it's still got to pack the punch, but with a strict food budget and and wonky dinner time (thanks to Son) my life is easier if my dinner is. This recipe is no exception. It's what I like to call the cheats way to good Mexican. Chicken Tortilla Soup is my most favourite soup and this one never lets me down. I've made it a few times when friends have come over and everyone always asks for the recipe. Also a perfect way to use up left overs!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
(we usually get 6 bowls of soup out of this recipe)

3-4 pints of water or chicken broth (I use water usually. Chicken broth just gives it more depth)
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 (10oz) can tomato soup
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cooked shredded chicken.

Bottom and Toppers:
Jalapenos
Express Mexican Rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
Tortilla Chips, crushed
Sour Cream
Avocado
Grated cheese (I usually use Cheddar)
Coriander (Cilantro)

In a large stock pot add as much water or chicken broth for the quantity of soup you need.

Add bouillons, spices, soup and tomatoes (including liquid), onion and chicken.

Heat soup thorough and allow to simmer until ready to serve.

Crock pot: I like to do this in the crock pot, since it's such an easy soup to make (chop an onion, open cans etc. dump into pot, done) I usually put it on in the late morning and leave it until dinner time, that way the onions are softer (but still with a bite) and the chicken has soaked up some flavor.

To Serve:
Place desired amount of crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese and jalapenos in individual bowls, pour hot soup over and top with a spoon of Mexican rice, a dollop of sour cream, slices of fresh avocado and a sprinkle of coriander/cilantro.

Done!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger